Monday, February 9, 2015

Movie Nights

Something I've begun in my third year of teaching is hosting movie nights. I think with a fast-paced, text-driven classroom, it's impossible/inappropriate to show whole movies in class. But when you're reading Hamlet or Pride & Prejudice or To Kill a Mockingbird, it can be so tempting to show the incredible films that have been made of these texts.

While I will argue that there's always a place for individual scenes in class, I love hosting these movie nights.

The setup:
With a few days left of our reading, I invite students to stay after school to watch the film. I bring popcorn and the movie; students can bring their own snacks or homework to work on during the film.

Pride & Prejudice Movie Night - 23 students came! 
23 STUDENTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments, questions, or concerns below. More than anything, be kind to fellow blog-readers and commenters.